A modern take on a retro favorite, this beautiful platter is always a hit at family gatherings. So simple to prepare ahead, healthy and refreshing—plus it won’t spoil their dinner!
This simple make-ahead appetizer is healthy, refreshing, and won't fill you up before a big holiday meal. Slide maraschino cherries onto the toothpicks before sticking them into the pineapple slices for a charming retro touch.
1 large whole pineapple
1 pound seedless red grapes, rinsed and drained
1 pound mixed whole nuts, in shell if available
- Slice pineapple lengthwise into long quarters, carefully keeping leaves attached to each quarter. Cut lengthwise down the center of each quarter to remove the tough core in one long piece.
- In each quarter, make one cut into the fruit both at the base and near the leaves, being careful not to cut all the way through the skin. Use a flexible knife or boning knife to cut lengthwise along the bottom of each quarter, between the skin and fruit. Slice each quarter into 1⁄2”-wide triangle-shaped slices of fruit (approximately 6). Again, do not cut through the skin.
- Arrange the sliced pineapple quarters on a platter with the leaves splayed out. Fill in between the pineapple quarters with whole nuts and piles of grapes. Spear the pineapple slices with decorative toothpicks before serving, if desired, or serve with the toothpicks on the side.
- Cover with plastic wrap and keep chilled until ready to serve. The platter can be prepared up to one day before serving.
Above & Beyond
Latest posts by Above & Beyond (see all)
- The Recipe File: Easter Sunday Brunch - April 20, 2014
- Five Ways an Electric Tea Kettle Can Improve Your Life - April 20, 2014
- Pork & Apple Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - April 19, 2014