Tacos are a great party food: Just put the fixings out and let guests make their own. The slow cooker pulled pork is easy to make ahead. Warm up the shredded pork on game night and put out your taco bar along with your other party fare — and don’t forget the salsa!
1 cup onion, minced
1 cup beer (any kind will do! It’s up to you to finish the rest of the bottle)
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
2 Tablespoons dried oregano
2 Tablespoons kosher salt
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon ancho or chipotle chili powder
1 Tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4-5 pounds boneless pork butt or shoulder, visible fat removed
1/2 cup cilantro, minced
20 corn tortillas, warmed
Shredded red cabbage
Guacamole or sliced avocados
- To make pulled pork: Combine onion through cayenne pepper in a slow cooker. Add pork, toss to coat, and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Remove pork from cooker and shred with two forks when cool enough to handle.
- Scoop 2-3 cups of braising liquid over pork. Stir in cilantro.
- Serve tacos with warm tortillas, sour cream, shredded red cabbage, guacamole or sliced avocados, sliced radishes, and lime wedges. Top with salsa -- try Macho Mango Salsa, our sweet and spicy favorite!
Pork can be made up to 2 days ahead. Simply rewarm just before serving. Leftovers (if there are any!) freeze exceptionally well. This recipe is also great as pulled pork sliders or sandwiches.
Above & Beyond
Latest posts by Above & Beyond (see all)
- The Recipe File: Easter Sunday Brunch - April 20, 2014
- Five Ways an Electric Tea Kettle Can Improve Your Life - April 20, 2014
- Pork & Apple Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - April 19, 2014