Watch how layers and sophisticated fabrics and details combine to create the beautiful look of a luxury hotel bed.
Love sleeping in the lap of luxury? You don’t have to splurge on a high-end hotel to get the royal treatment. Save yourself the travel time (and avoid packing altogether) by tricking out your bedroom with these opulent extras. If you make your bedroom feel like a luxury hotel, you’re sure to turn your 40 winks into a four-star experience.
1. Plush Bedding. A top-notch hotel room is often defined by one item —the bed. If it’s done right, you’ll want to spend the entire day lounging under the covers. If it’s done wrong, you’ll want to check out the minute your head hits the pillow.
The secret to a great bed (besides a top-of-the-line mattress), is luxe bedding. Here’s the bedding formula: Start with 100% cotton sheets. Add a layer of warmth while also giving the bedding dimension with a soft coverlet, like the Kenneth Cole Reaction Home Swirl Coverlet.
Mix in an elegant comforter in a calming color (we’re totally digging on the Kenneth Cole Reaction Hotel Neutral comforter) and top it with an overload of coordinated pillows (the more the merrier) in plush fabrics like silk or velvet. To really up the style ante, try layering pillows with sophisticated touches like tucking, ombre or metallic detailing.
Pillows from the Kenneth Cole Reaction Home Collection
2. A Cool Color Scheme. Make your bedroom a place you can really relax in by eschewing the bright, flashy motif for something cool and comforting. Try peppering the room with anchor pieces (like the Kenneth Cole Reaction Home Sculpted Cheetah Rug) in soothing neutral like light gray, cream or an earthy green-beige. Then add a pop of color (like citrine, magenta, navy or teal) with accent items like lamps, pillows and throws.
Watch for a view of the amazing detail and texture in the Kenneth Cole Reaction Home Cheetah Area Rug.
3. A Lack of Clutter. One major bonus of hotel living? No clutter. Streamline your own bedroom with a few simple tricks:
- Give every item its own place (and yes, by that we mean loads of storage).
- Limit your wall decor to a few simple black and white photos or a single painting hung over the bed.
- Keep the top of your nightstand and your dresser tidy — the less extras littering the room, the more relaxed it’s going to feel.
4. An Area to Sit. You don’t always want to kick back on your bed (that plush bedding you invested in makes fighting off sleep a losing battle). That said, if you have the space, create a whole separate sitting area. A pair of cozy chairs and a side table should do the trick. Or you can keep it simple with just a single, elegant chaise lounge. If a work space is more up your alley, install a small desk and a chair — just don’t let it become an area where you let things pile up.
5. Mood Lighting. Feeling romantic? Want to settle in with a good book? Give yourself the option to set multiple moods with a few different lighting schemes. Start by installing recessed lighting over the bed, in the sitting area and over the dresser. Place each area on its own dimmer so you can light them separately. Then add in a few table lamps or even a desk lamp (if you have a work space). Mix and match to fit your mood!
6. Pretty Perks. Luxury hotels always come with little extras that make the experience really special. There’s no rule that says you can’t treat yourself to the same perks at home. Some of our favorites include:
- Place a vase of fresh flowers on the top of your dresser.
- Have a fancy plush robe and slippers ready for post-shower lounging.
- Indulge in specialty lotions and soaps.
- Light a few candles in soft scents like sandalwood, lavender or freesia.
- Surprise your sweetie with a few mints on his pillow. Bonus points if you can convince him to provide room service in exchange.
What’s your favorite luxury hotel perk? Let us know in the space below.