Our vegetarian friends give this easy-to-prepare slow cooker chickpea soup the thumbs up! Chickpeas make it hearty, while fire-roasted tomatoes give its flavors depth. Adding spinach toward the end of the cook time lends each serving a pleasing pop of color (and preserves its nutrients).
2 15-ounce cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
1 onion chopped about 1 cup
2 colored bell peppers seeded and chopped about 2 cups
1 salt celery with leaves chopped about 1/2 cup
2 medium carrots peeled and chopped about 1 cup
1 15 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
3 cups vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced
1 9-ounce bag baby spinach
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, add the chickpeas, onion, bell peppers, celery, carrots, tomatoes, vegetable broth, and spices. Set the slow cooker to high for 4 hours.
- After 3 hours, add the sweet potato.
- Just before serving, keep slow cooker on warm and stir in the spinach until it wilts, about 2-3 minutes.
Above & Beyond
Latest posts by Above & Beyond (see all)
- Ten Surprising Ways to Chill Out in the Heat - July 30, 2014
- Road Trip Tips: What to Pack for the Ultimate Joy Ride - July 28, 2014
- The Recipe File: Lighter Summer Dishes - July 27, 2014