Today is Adopt-a-Shelter-Pet Day, which makes it the perfect time to give a deserving hound a home. If you’re bringing home a new dog, this list of must-haves help you stock your home to keep family member comfy.
1. Leashes. You can’t leave home without one, so pick up couple of leashes. When choosing, look for little extras like an easy-grip handle, retractable body, or even low-impact leashes that will make using them comfortable for both of you.
2. Feeding gear. Snag a couple of matching food and water bowls that are easy to clean. Elevated feeding sets make it easier for dogs to eat, which can reduce kibble spills, and a place mat under the bowls can help contain sloshes and crumbs. (And don’t forget the food!)
Is your new pet a kitten? Check out Above & Beyond’s
3. Toys. Choosing toys for your pup is almost as much fun as playing with them, so until you know which toys your new dog will prefer, mix it up a little:
with an array of squeaker, chew and plush toys.
4. A doggie bed. Even the littlest breeds seem able to take over a human-sized mattress and evict fully grown humans from their restful slumber. So save your snooze time by scoring your pup his own cozy bed.
6. Gates. The easiest way to limit your dog’s range — and control the location of “accidents” by an un-housebroken puppy — is to place a gate between rooms.
8. Crate and/or Carrier. Many dog trainers recommend a crate (a.k.a. a kennel) for housebreaking, but they’re also great for giving your dog a home of her own and for safe transportation in a car. For smaller dogs, a carrier can do double duty, allowing you to tote your dog to and fro. If your pet is a puppy, try to choose a stylish carrier that will grow with her to full size.
9. Car cover. Protect your car’s leather interior from accidental damage with a waterproof, machine washable seat cover.
10. Pet supply organizer. Prevent your pup’s many accoutrements from taking over the entire house with an over-the-door or organizer or a pet chest.
What have you purchased for your new pup? Let us know in the space below.
Latest posts by Megan Mostyn-Brown (see all)
- Don’t Need It, But Want It — Bedding Gadgets - April 16, 2014
- Did You Know We Sell: Garden Tools? - April 14, 2014
- Laundry Hampers and Sorters: 8 Things to Know Before You Buy - March 17, 2014