Apr30
Posted in: Food & Cooking, Recipes

Sam’s Quick Tip for Cooking Chicken Breast Right

There are two things that surprise me about chicken:

1. How expensive it is considering how many chickens there seem to be in the world.  Because whenever they show a chicken farm on the news it looks like a billion chickens running about – and shouldn’t that much supply bring the price down?
  2. How difficult chicken can be to cook it without some part of it drying out.

I can’t do anything about the cost, but the drying out part I’ve got handled. This is my go-to way of cooking a chicken breast, and I do this all the time. And while I show you three things to do with it once cooked – the possibilities are endless. In fact my wife Kelly loves it when I grill some chicken, slice it and put it in a container in the fridge. Then when she wants a quick healthy bite or snack – it’s as simple as opening the fridge door. In fact, that makes an excellent point:  once you get set up to cook a chicken breast or two, why not throw a couple extra on. Then slice and stick ‘em in the fridge and they’re ready for anything – including just snacking.

Sam the Cooking Guy

Grilled Rosemary Chicken Sandwich

Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad

Pesto Pasta with Grilled Chicken

The following two tabs change content below.

Sam Zien

is host of the TV show Sam the Cooking Guy, author of 3 cookbooks and a frequent guest in the Today Show kitchen. He’s also and proud of his “big in taste but small in effort” cooking style — “food that anyone can make,” he likes to say.

Latest posts by Sam Zien (see all)

sharon weaver May 4, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I already knew about flatting the chicken. The pan I’ve never heard of but I bet i’ll be buying one soon.

Thanks

Sam Zien May 16, 2013 at 3:14 am

you’re so welcome sharon – and you should see what that pan can do with scallops…and a grilled cheese!

g phillips May 16, 2013 at 8:18 am

In my area, the grill pan is not available at BBB, would a scanpan skillet serve the same purpose.? Obviously I would not have any grill marks. Just curious. thank you.

Above & Beyond May 16, 2013 at 9:54 am

Hi There-

The grill pan that Sam is using is also available online: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16833541

Let us know if you need any other assistance!

Sam Zien May 16, 2013 at 11:10 am

and the marks do more than just make food look great because the striping adds a TON of flavor. just a warning though – once you start using it you’ll be hooked and will want to grill-pan everything!

Eric May 4, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Sam! I dig your tips. I’ve done medifast for the last 18 months. I’m down almost 60 lbs. A svelt 185. My wife and I have been doing chicken all this time. Love your tips. I used to cook 2 breasts every night. NOT NO MO! 4-5 lbs at one time. Lasts a few days and saves gas on my Weber. I’m an avid listener of DSC. I enjoy YOUR Fridays.

Sam, LOVE YOUR SHOW!

Eric

Sam Zien May 14, 2013 at 11:12 am

just cooked 6 breasts last night myself – and now they’re waiting to be used in a million things…
thanks eric.

Wiggle May 7, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Great tip sam…used to use plastic wrap and tenderizing hammer but that just makes a mess. Another use for Ziploc!

g phillips May 11, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Where can one purchase the ceramic grill pan? Should I assume BBY?
Did I hear correctly, the pan does not scratch
Did I see correctly that you didn’t use any oil in the ceramic pan.
I enjoy your e mails (wish there were more), sure wish we were going to be in the SD area end of May.
I used to see you on TV but not anymore, possibly I do not get the channel

Sam Zien May 14, 2013 at 11:11 am

The grill pan I was using is from Scanpan and you can get it from Bed Bath – here’s the url:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16833541. Btw, I use mine all the time – you should see how amazing it makes a grill cheese look…
One of the features of ceramic pans is their ability to stand up to metal utensils. And while I don’t make a habit of using metal in them every time I cook, it’s nice to know they won’t flake if I do. You saw correctly – no oil in the pan but there was some on the chicken from when I flattened it. You definitely don’t need a lot, but at least a little. Thanks for your comments.