This summery recipe is a soft and cakey buttermilk sugar cookie sandwich with tangy blueberry frozen yogurt. Bonus: you don’t need an ice cream maker to make these!
3 cups flour
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp table salt
1 1/2 sticks salted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt
1 1/3 cup canned blueberry pie filling
1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 and line baking pans with parchment.
- Stir together flour, lemon zest, baking soda, and salt.
- Use an electric mixer to beat butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and combine.
- Add dry mixture and buttermilk to creamed butter in one-thirds, alternating between dry and wet until completely combined (dough will be sticky).
- Use a 1/4 cup measure to scoop batter onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool to room temperature and then store in the refrigerator until ready to make sandwiches.
- Measure frozen yogurt into a large bowl and soften slightly in fridge.
- Mix in blueberry pie filling and lemon juice. (Return to freezer if yogurt is too soft to scoop onto cookies).
- Place each cookie, top side down on top of a piece of foil.
- Use a 1/3 cup measure to shape blueberry yogurt into a circle and spoon on top of cookie.
- Sandwich with 2nd cookie, wrap loosely in foil, and freeze until firm.
- Continue spooning yogurt onto cookies to make all 8 sandwiches.
To make mini ice cream sandwiches spoon 2 TB batter onto prepared cookie sheets to make 32 cookies. Follow same procedure as above and spoon 2 TB blueberry yogurt onto each sandwich.
Above & Beyond
Latest posts by Above & Beyond (see all)
- Choose the Right Wine Glass - March 10, 2014
- The Recipe File: International Dumplings - March 9, 2014
- Vegetarian Root Vegetable Gyozas (Japanese Dumplings) Recipe - March 8, 2014