I’ve always been confused why ‘veggie burgers’ are seldom made from vegetables. Nuts, beans, grains, twigs…everything but actual vegetables.
Well, that stops right now. Because here is a magnificent ‘veggie burger’ with pesto & goat cheese that even your carnivore friends will appreciate. It’s awesome off the grill, off the grill pan or off of whatever you’ve got. Go ahead, just make it.
1/3 cup store-bought pesto
1/3 cup softened goat cheese
2 large carrots, cut lengthwise into wide 1⁄4 inch thick strips
2 red bell peppers, sides cut off and core and seeds discarded
2 yellow peppers, sides cut off and core and seeds discarded
1 red onion, cut into 1⁄2-inch thick rounds
1 large eggplant, cut into 1⁄2-inch thick rounds
Fresh ground black pepper
4 sourdough buns (if you can find them, and if not, whatever works for you)
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Mix together the pesto and goat cheese—set aside.
- Brush veggies lightly with oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the veggies to the grill and cook on both sides until tender and a little charred all over—this will be 7 to 10 minutes for the peppers and carrots and about 5 minutes for the onion and eggplant.
- Toast the buns lightly on grill.
- Spread the pesto mixture on the bottom of the buns and add the veggies and the top bun.