Here is a dessert that is for everyone. Enlist your kids in making the crumble for a fun family activity that is simple to do. But beware, this crumble is so delicious, if you bake it in the morning, it probably won’t last for dinner dessert!
8 cups mixed berries -- black berries, blue berries, raspberries, and strawberries (if using strawberries hull and cut into quarters)
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
½ teaspoon salt
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 stick butter cut into small pieces
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix the berries sugar and cornstarch and set aside.
- In another bowl combine the flour, oats, salt, light brown sugar, and butter.
- With your hands, mix together until clumps form about the size of a large grape.
- In a 9” round or 9” x 9” square baking dish pour in the berry mixture.
- Top with the crumble mixture and place in a pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 1 hour before eating.
- Before serving make the whipped cream by placing the heavy cream in a bowl of a stand mixer.
- Beat on high until soft peaks -- about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and chopped mint and beat for a few more seconds.
- Top off crumble with 2 tablespoons of whipped cream per serving.