Mmmm Mojitos! We turned the trendy cocktail into a super refreshing nonalcoholic beverage that’s just perfect for a summer party! Want to give it a kick? Serve with a bottle of white rum to add as desired.
8 cups water
8 good quality black tea bags (such as PG Tips)
2 cups lightly packed mint leaves (about 2 nice bunches), divided
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 Tablespoon finely grated lime zest (grated using a microplane)
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan or in a microwave-safe bowl in microwave.
- Add tea bags to water and let steep 5 minutes. Remove tea bags, squeezing them to extract tea.
- Add 1 cup of the mint leaves to tea and let stand until room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile make an easy lime syrup by combining sugar, lime juice and lime zest in small bowl. Stir occasionally to dissolve sugar.
- Remove mint from room temperature. Pour lime syrup into tea; stir well and add remaining mint leaves. Pour into a pitcher with an ice insert or serve in ice-filled glasses with sliced lime and mint sprigs if desired.
To keep tea from being diluted, make ice cubes with some of the iced tea mixture. This can be prepared 1 day ahead, but leave out the last cup of mint leaves until serving. Mint is the easiest herb to grow! Why not plant some in the ground or in pots so you can enjoy this recipe frequently.
Above & Beyond
Latest posts by Above & Beyond (see all)
- Six Ways to Cut Energy Use (& Costs!) in Under 10 Minutes - April 22, 2014
- The Recipe File: Easter Sunday Brunch - April 20, 2014
- Five Ways an Electric Tea Kettle Can Improve Your Life - April 20, 2014