A simple yogurt and spice marinade gives some serious flavor to chicken drumsticks. They’re fun to eat, equally delicious served warm or chilled, and are sure to become your newest picnic favorite. Not a dark meat fan? This marinade is amazing for chicken breast kabobs too!
For the Marinade
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup water
3 TB lemon juice
3 TB extra virgin olive oil
1 TB kosher salt
1 TB granulated garlic (found in the spice aisle)
4 tsp cumin
4 tsp curry powder
2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
3 lbs chicken drumsticks (~12), skin removed
Chopped scallions and cilantro for garnish, optional
- Whisk all marinade ingredients together.
- Pour over chicken, toss to coat, and chill several hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook heat a gas or charcoal grill over medium heat. Coat grates with oil or cooking spray.
- Remove chicken from marinade and cook for 25 minutes, turning frequently for even browning.
- Serve warm or chilled garnished with cilantro and scallion.
Ask your butcher to remove the skin from the chicken drumsticks –it allows the marinade to really penetrate the meat. It’s not hard to do yourself – just use a paring knife to separate the skin from the meat and then use a paper towel to grip the skin and pull it down and off along the bottom of the bone.
Above & Beyond
Latest posts by Above & Beyond (see all)
- Six Ways to Cut Energy Use (& Costs!) in Under 10 Minutes - April 22, 2014
- The Recipe File: Easter Sunday Brunch - April 20, 2014
- Five Ways an Electric Tea Kettle Can Improve Your Life - April 20, 2014