When I can find a single ingredient that tastes like 20 – I’m there. And Five Spice powder is one of those. A combination of star anise, cloves, Chinese cinnamon, Sichuan pepper and fennel seeds – Five Spice simply adds sophisticated Asian flavor to almost any dish.
So easy, but so really good. You can find Five Spice seasoning in any supermarket spice aisle. And if you can't - go yell at them and tell them you want it.
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of extra fat
1 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon Chinese Five Spice seasoning
1 bunch green onions, diced very fine
- Combine brown sugar and Five Spice in a bowl then stir in soy.
- Mix really well.
- Add the chicken and mix really, really well, to coat the chicken so it is all well covered.
- Let marinate an hour, up to overnight, if possible.
- Pre-heat grill to high.
- Cook chicken until done but not too long or it will dry out.
- Top with the diced green onions.