One Pot Tailgating Brats
I love a good brat, especially at a tailgate. But we can elevate the flavor beyond just cooking them on the grill. Simmering them in a beer bath with peppers, onions and brown sugar will make them bratbests, instead of bratwursts. Corny? Maybe. But true? Absolutely.
3 tablespoons butter
1 white onion, thinly sliced
1 green pepper de-seeded and sliced thin
2 bottles of dark beer
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
6 pack of cooked bratwurst
6 Sliced sandwich rolls
Mustard, for serving
- In large throw away foil pan (if you are doing this on a grill) add onion, green pepper and butter.
- Cook over medium heat until veggies soften.
- Next add beer, sugar, vinegar and pepper to pan and mix well.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add brats, heat through completely.
- When brats are ready, throw them on the grill for some color.
- Toast buns, top with a brat and some of the onions and peppers.