Brine and twine, they don’t just rhyme — they go together like salt & pepper, Heckle & Jeckle, or Thanksgiving and being full. Not to mention they are easily two of the most important steps you can take to ensure turkey success.
1/2 gallon apple juice
1 gallon water
2 Tablespoons each dried sage & rosemary
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups Kosher salt
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 yellow onions, peeled & cut in quarters
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 15-20 minutes partly covered.
- Allow brine to cool completely.
- Put rinsed turkey (without the bag of giblets, etc.) into a brining bag or non-reactive pot and add the cooled brine.
- Seal bag or cover pot and refrigerate 8-10 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Remove turkey, rinse, pat dry and roast.
Sixty minute cooking time includes brine cooling time.