The 12 Days of Cookies have us dreaming of adding these rich Chocolate Turtle Cookies from Sally’s Baking Addiction to our holiday baking mix!
I was never a fan of pecans when I was little. When we had homemade pecan rolls every Christmas morning, I’d pick off all the nuts and give them to my mom. These days I’m completely nuts about them! (No pun intended, of course.) Pecans, chocolate, and caramel make up one of my favorite candies: chocolate turtles. I took all of those flavors and turned them into one irresistible cookie. And you know what? These decadent cookies give chocolate turtle candies a run for their money. Get to baking, I promise there won’t be a chocolate crumb left!
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons milk
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecan pieces
15 soft wrapped caramel candies, such as Kraft
1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- Toss the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Switch the mixer to medium speed and beat in the granulated sugar and brown sugar until combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Turn the mixer off and pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Turn the mixer on low and slowly beat until a very soft dough is formed.
- Beat in the milk on medium speed. The dough will be very sticky.
- Cover the dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes so it is not rock hard.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Combine the mini chocolate chips and pecan pieces together in a small bowl.
- Scoop 1 Tablespoon of dough, mold into a ball, and roll into the chocolate chips/pecans.
- Repeat for each cookie.
- Place 10 balls onto each baking sheet.
- Bake each batch for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Heat unwrapped caramels and heavy cream together in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Stir constantly until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Drizzle warm caramel over cookies and allow to set for at least 10 minutes.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.