Today’s recipe in the 12 Days of Cookies yields a treat that’s trendy and just a little bit glamorous.
Coconut macaroons are an oldie but goodie. This is my quick and easy recipe for the classic cookies, all dolled up with a drizzle of white chocolate and a sprinkle of dried cranberries. Hey, there’s always room for chocolate – right? The cookie’s toasty exterior combined with a chewy richness and moist center puts this at the top of my cookie list every holiday season.
Try a drizzle of dark chocolate over these coconut macaroons next. Completely delicious!
2 and 3/4 cups shredded coconut (sweetened)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
3 ounces pure white chocolate
1/4 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut, sugar, flour, and salt. Add the egg whites and stir with a large rubber spatula until combined. Stir in the almond and vanilla extracts, then the chopped dried cranberries.
- Measure one heaping tablespoon of mixture for each and drop into a mound on the prepared cookie sheet, making sure they are nicely round and 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the white chocolate and shortening together in a small microwave safe bowl in 20 second intervals until melted, stirring well after each increment. Drizzle over cookies. Cookies stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days or in the refrigerator for up to five.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Thanks to Sally of Sally’s Baking Addiction for the recipe!
Above & Beyond
Latest posts by Above & Beyond (see all)
- Globetrotting? Don’t Leave Home Without These Traveling Essentials - July 9, 2014
- How to Pack for Travel [Infographic] - July 6, 2014
- Backyard Composting Do’s and Don’ts - July 5, 2014