Say goodbye to store-bought pie crusts and start making your own. The end result is not just a way more delicious crust, but also an increased level of self-satisfaction from making your own. There’s just something about making my own pie crust that makes me feel like a pro.
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 Tablespoons (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small cubes
4-5 Tablespoons ice water
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (with the flat beater) stir together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the butter and mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles small peas.
- Slowly add just enough water and mix on low until the dough pulls together – but don’t overwork the dough or it will be tough.
- Remove dough from bowl, pat into a ball and flatten into a disk.
- Lightly flour your work surface, and dust the top of the dough.
- Using a rolling pin, roll into a 12 - inch circle, with flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Use dough as needed.