Almost nothing gets gobbled up at a party faster than meatballs. Here is a new take on the cocktail party classic - Meatballs with Chili Sauce. Ground pork, crushed tortilla chips, cumin and cilantro are mixed and formed into super-tasty meatballs. The sauce is a bit spicy, a bit sweet and totally delish!
1 pound lean ground pork
1 cup finely crumbled tortilla chips
1/2 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, divided
1 large egg
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 cup olive oil
2 1/2 Tablespoons lime juice
1 can (14.5) ounces petite diced tomatoes
1 1/2 Tablespoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo
2 Tablespoons agave syrup or 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Combine pork, tortilla chips, zucchini, scallions, ¼ cup of the cilantro, the egg, garlic, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt with your hands in a large bowl.
- Form mixture into about 40 meatballs (about 1 Tablespoon each).
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add about ½ of the meatballs and cook, gently turning occasionally, until browned, about 7 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon to a plate.
- Repeat with remaining meatballs. Remove to plate.
- Add lime juice to skillet and cook scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Add tomatoes, chipotles, agave syrup and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and bring to a simmer.
- Return meatballs and any accumulated juices to skillet and simmer 5 minutes for flavors to blend.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining 2 Tablespoons cilantro. Serve with cocktail forks or toothpicks.
Also great as an entrée. Form mixture into larger meatballs or patties and serve over rice. These can be made 1 day ahead and reheated in the microwave.
Above & Beyond
Latest posts by Above & Beyond (see all)
- Ten Surprising Ways to Chill Out in the Heat - July 30, 2014
- Road Trip Tips: What to Pack for the Ultimate Joy Ride - July 28, 2014
- The Recipe File: Lighter Summer Dishes - July 27, 2014