Comfort food dessert style - rich and creamy with a hit of lemon to add brightness. Serve topped with whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon or nutmeg if desired.
5 1/2 cups whole milk, divided
1 cup long grain rice (not converted)
1 vanilla bean, split
1 cinnamon stick
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Bring 5 cups of the milk to a simmer in a large, preferably nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add rice; stir. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean and add to saucepan along with the pods. Add cinnamon stick.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, then more frequently towards end of cook time, until rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk and sweetened condensed milk; return to a simmer and cook over low heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until creamy and rice is very soft.
- Remove from heat. Remove and discard cinnamon stick and vanilla bean pods.
- Stir in lemon peel. Let cool. Serve topped with whipped cream if desired.
Above & Beyond
Latest posts by Above & Beyond (see all)
- Six Ways to Cut Energy Use (& Costs!) in Under 10 Minutes - April 22, 2014
- The Recipe File: Easter Sunday Brunch - April 20, 2014
- Five Ways an Electric Tea Kettle Can Improve Your Life - April 20, 2014