This fragrant and slightly spicy Lamb Vindaloo recipe is a classic Indian dish that will fill your kitchen with an exotic fragrance as it gently simmers.
The beauty of this slow cooker recipe is that you simply add ingredients to the cooker, set it and forget it! Since this recipe includes potatoes you don’t even need to cook rice as an accompaniment. It would be nice served with naan bread though to soak up the delicious sauce.
2 Tablespoons white or red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
1 Jalapeño pepper, minced (with seeds), about 3 Tablespoons
2 Tablespoons finely chopped ginger
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
1 3/4 pound lean boneless lamb shoulder cut for stew
1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut in large chunks
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice, undrained
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Combine vinegar, oil, garlic, jalapeño pepper, ginger, cumin seeds, ground coriander, turmeric, salt and garam masala in 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Add lamb and toss to coat with spice mixture. Add potatoes, tomatoes and onion and toss to mix and coat.
- Cover and cook on LOW 7 to 9 hours or until lamb and potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cilantro and serve.
Can keep refrigerated up to 3 days, but don’t freeze unless you remove the potatoes first.
Above & Beyond
Latest posts by Above & Beyond (see all)
- The Recipe File: Terrific Tomato Dishes - August 17, 2014
- Heirloom Tomatoes Stuffed with Lump Crab Salad Recipe - August 16, 2014
- Kick Off College Football Season with Themed Gear - August 12, 2014