This cake is so easy to make and such fun-why not do it with the kids? When you’re preparing it don’t be alarmed-it doesn’t look like a typical cake when you pop it in the oven. Pouring hot water over the batter seems crazy but magic happens in the oven-forming a cake with a fudgy sauce on the bottom.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups hot water
Your favorite ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. You’ll need an 8-inch square metal baking pan.
- Whisk flour, granulated sugar, 1/4 cup of the cocoa, the baking powder and salt in a medium bowl until blended. Whisk in milk and butter until blended.
- Pour into pan and smooth into an even layer. Sprinkle top evenly with brown sugar, then remaining 1/4 cup cocoa and the chocolate chips.
- Mix the vanilla and hot water and pour over top.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until the top looks dry but center of cake is still jiggly.
- Cool on wire rack until warm. Spoon into serving dishes and top with ice cream if desired.