If you haven’t tried pierogies yet you’re in for a treat! These tasty Eastern European potato and cheese filled dumplings are traditionally boiled and served with onions and butter. In our modernized take we bake them till crispy and serve them topped with flavorful sautéed veggies and browned kielbasa. Try these for an easy, hearty weeknight dinner your family is sure to love.
1 pound frozen potato and cheese pierogies
1-13 ounce package kielbasa, cross-sliced 1/4” thick
3 Tablespoons butter
2 large red onions, thinly sliced
1-8 ounce package sliced cremini mushrooms
2 teaspoons caraway seed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 cups shredded red cabbage
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
Optional, sour cream and chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment. Spread pierogies evenly across pan and bake according to package instructions until crispy and browned.
- While pierogies bake, heat a large nonstick skillet and cook kielbasa slices for 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until lightly browned. Remove from pan and reserve.
- Add butter, onions, mushrooms, caraway, salt, and pepper to pan. Cook on high for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is soft and mushrooms are beginning to brown. Add cabbage and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until crisp-tender. Stir in cider vinegar and serve tossed with crispy pierogies and kielbasa. Garnish with sour cream and chives.
You can use any flavor or size pierogi you like with equally delicious results!
Above & Beyond
Latest posts by Above & Beyond (see all)
- Road Trip Tips: What to Pack for the Ultimate Joy Ride - July 28, 2014
- The Recipe File: Lighter Summer Dishes - July 27, 2014
- Grilled Little Neck Clams Basted with Garlic Butter Recipe - July 26, 2014