12 ounces broccoli rabe, tough ends trimmed and cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces
8 ounces mezzi rigatoni pasta
3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
8 ounces hot or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
1 1/2 Tablespoons minced garlic
1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, preferably Parmigiano Reggiano
Crushed red pepper flakes
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add broccoli rabe and cook just until crisp-tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Lift out of pot with a large slotted spoon or strainer. Set aside.
- Add pasta to same pot of water and cook as package directs. Reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water before draining.
- Meanwhile heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up chunks with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and broccoli rabe and sauté 1 minute. Gently stir in beans and heat through.
- Add drained pasta, reserved cooking water, remaining 2 Tablespoons oil and Parmesan cheese; toss. Add salt to taste if desired and serve with additional Parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper flakes.