1 pound ground pork
3/4 cup diced sweet apple (no need to peel)
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon dried sage, rubbed between fingers
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, rubbed between fingers
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons canola oil
- Using your hands or a wooden spoon, combine all ingredients except oil in a medium bowl until well mixed. (See Notes).
- Form into 10 (1/2-inch thick) patties (about 1/4 cup each).
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet.
- Add patties and cook, in 2 batches, turning once, until browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Serve with maple syrup if desired.
A trick when making seasoned ground meat mixtures (like these patties, meatballs or meatloaf) is to cook up a tiny bit of the mixture in a skillet first to see if the seasoning is to your liking. It’s easy then to add a bit more salt or adjust the seasonings to suit your taste.
Terry Grieco Kenny
Latest posts by Terry Grieco Kenny (see all)
- Sicilian Swordfish, Orange, Fennel & Olive Salad Recipe - August 2, 2014
- Grilled Italian Steak Salad Recipe - August 2, 2014
- Best-Ever Strawberry Shortcake Recipe - July 19, 2014