Hearty and delicious and what’s even better is that it can be prepared a day ahead! So sleep in and just reheat in a warm oven or the microwave.
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small poblano pepper, diced, (about 3/4 cup)
3/4 cup chopped onion
6 ounces chorizo, diced (about 1 1/3 cups)
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, divided
8 ounces frozen shredded potatoes, thawed (about 3 cups)
3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch deep dish pie plate or shallow 1-quart baking dish with butter or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pepper and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add chorizo to skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and milk in a large bowl until blended. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, the pepper and onion mixture, chorizo, potatoes, cilantro and salt. Pour into baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 40 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake 10 minutes or until slightly puffed and golden.
This casserole would also make a nice lunch dish. Top with salsa and serve with a salad on the side.