Your family will beg you to make these simple fresh and tasty pancakes. Any berries can be used for the syrup depending on what you like best. The recipe can easily be doubled for larger families or parties.
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup orange juice
2 Tablespoons finely grated orange zest
1 1/4 cup milk
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/3 cup corn meal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2-3 Tablespoons butter
- In a sauce pan over medium low heat add the blueberries, orange juice, and maple syrup and cook for 10 minutes until the fruit opens and the syrup turns dark purple. Cover and keep warm.
- In a mixing bowl add the orange juice, orange zest, milk, eggs, and ricotta and whisk together.
- In a second bowl add the corn meal, flour, salt, and baking powder, and whisk to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk to just mix together. It is ok if there are small lumps, over mixing makes tough pancakes.
- In a skillet over medium high heat add 1 Tablespoon of butter and when it has melted add 1/4 cup of the batter to the skillet making 3-4 pancakes. When small bubbles form over the top the pancake, about 3 minutes, flip them over with a spatula and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Remove to a plate to keep warm and repeat with the remaining batter until all the pancakes are made and serve with blueberry syrup.
Above & Beyond
Latest posts by Above & Beyond (see all)
- Ten Surprising Ways to Chill Out in the Heat - July 30, 2014
- Road Trip Tips: What to Pack for the Ultimate Joy Ride - July 28, 2014
- The Recipe File: Lighter Summer Dishes - July 27, 2014