I pretty much don’t turn on my oven during the dog days of summer. I love to throw together easy 1-pot stove-top meals like this one instead. It takes advantage of the delicious vegetables that are abundant this time of year-like corn, peppers and tomatoes and cleanup is super simple! No sweat!
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 center cut bone-in pork chops (about 2 pounds)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3 ears fresh corn, kernels removed from cob with sharp knife (about 2 cups)
1 large poblano chile, seeded and diced (about 3/4 cup)
1/3 cup sliced scallions
2 medium ripe tomatoes, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 Tablespoon lime juice or more to taste
- Combine cumin, salt and pepper in a small cup, and then rub into pork.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook pork, turning once, until golden and just barely pink at centers, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove pork to a plate. Add lime juice to skillet and scrape bottom of skillet to release brown bits; pour over pork, cover and set aside.
- Heat same skillet over medium high heat. Add corn and chile and cook without stirring, 1 minute or until lightly charred in a few places. Stir and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in scallions and cook 1 minute or until scallions’ starts to soften.
- Add tomatoes, cumin and salt and sauté about 1 minute or until tomatoes start to soften. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Pour any dripping from pork into skillet with vegetables; stir. Evenly spoon vegetable mixture onto serving plates or platter, then top with pork chops. Serve with lime wedges if desired.
Try this variation: My son Jack sampled this recipe, loved it and said he wanted his in a burrito. He cut up his pork chop, mixed it with the vegetables and rolled into a lightly toasted flour tortilla. It was a hit!
Terry Grieco Kenny
Latest posts by Terry Grieco Kenny (see all)
- Sicilian Swordfish, Orange, Fennel & Olive Salad Recipe - August 2, 2014
- Grilled Italian Steak Salad Recipe - August 2, 2014
- Best-Ever Strawberry Shortcake Recipe - July 19, 2014