12 Days of Cookies: Chocolate Turtle Cookies Recipe
- Prep Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped pecan pieces
- 15 soft wrapped caramel candies, such as Kraft
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
Make the Cookies
- Toss the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Switch the mixer to medium speed and beat in the granulated sugar and brown sugar until combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Turn the mixer off and pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Turn the mixer on low and slowly beat until a very soft dough is formed.
- Beat in the milk on medium speed. The dough will be very sticky.
- Cover the dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes so it is not rock hard.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Combine the mini chocolate chips and pecan pieces together in a small bowl.
- Scoop 1 Tablespoon of dough, mold into a ball, and roll into the chocolate chips/pecans.
- Repeat for each cookie.
- Place 10 balls onto each baking sheet.
- Bake each batch for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the caramel topping:
- Heat unwrapped caramels and heavy cream together in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Stir constantly until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Drizzle warm caramel over cookies and allow to set for at least 10 minutes.
Copyright 2012-2014 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.