Baked Cheesy Grits Casserole Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned grits
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups), divided
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: snipped chives
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a shallow 3-quart baking dish with butter or coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a 4 to 5-quart, preferably nonstick, saucepan. Add onion and sauté over medium heat until tender, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water, cream and salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Slowly whisk in grits; reduce heat to low and cook uncovered, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the cheese, the eggs, pepper sauce and ground black pepper. Pour into baking dish and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake 35 to 45 minutes until golden and slightly puffed.
The grits can be made and put into the baking dish and refrigerated 1 day ahead. Just let come to room temperature before baking. Serving a smaller crowd? This recipe can be halved and baked in a shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish.