Baked Macaroni & Cheese on the Grill Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings, with leftovers
- 1 pound of your favorite pasta cooked half way (I used medium shells and cooked them for 5 minutes drained and rinsed under cold water to stop cooking and set aside)
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Tablespoon grated onion
- 6 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups grated cheese of choice (I used white cheddar and chipotle cheddar for some spice but any combination will work)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat melt the butter and add the flour and whisk to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes and add the grated onion and cook for another minute.
- Add the milk and whisk to combine the nutmeg and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil (about 5-7 minutes), whisking the bottom to avoid any sticking. Taste for seasoning and adjust as desired. The sauce should be the consistency of thick cream. Remove the sauce from the heat and cool slightly.
- Mix in the cheese 1 cup at a time. If you are not going to bake it right away keep the sauce and the pasta separate until you are ready to bake.
- In a 9” x 13" inch pan mix the pasta and sauce.
- In a small bowl mix the panko breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese and sprinkle on top of the pasta and cheese. Place the pan on the grill over medium heat. Close the grill for 10 minutes and check to see its bubbling evenly. If not spin it so the heat is even and cook for 10 more minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
Copyright 2012-2014 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.