Best-Ever Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 6 Tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. You’ll need a greased baking sheet.
- Combine flour, 3 Tablespoons of the sugar, the baking powder and salt in a large bowl with a wire whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Drizzle in milk and toss with a fork just until a soft dough forms.
- Spoon dough onto baking sheet in 6 equal mounds. Sprinkle tops with remaining 1 Tablespoon sugar.
- Bake 12 to 16 minutes or until pale golden and set. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, at least 30 minutes before serving, toss strawberries with 4 Tablespoons of the sugar and the lemon zest in a large bowl. Let stand at room temperature, tossing occasionally, until very juicy.
- Beat cream with remaining 2 Tablespoon sugar and the vanilla in a large bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Carefully split biscuits with a serrated knife. Put bottoms on serving plates and spoon about 1/2 cup strawberries on each. Top each with about 1/2 cup whipped cream. Top with biscuit tops, then remaining whipped cream and strawberries. Dig in!
Copyright 2012-2014 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.
The biscuits can be made ahead and refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 week. Reheat biscuits (thaw if frozen) on a baking sheet in a 300 F oven until warm. Cool completely before assembling.