Blueberry-Buttermilk Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: PT12- 15M
- Yield: 8 large or 16 small
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 1/2 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt
- 1 1/3 cup canned blueberry pie filling
- 1 tsp lemon juice
To make cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 and line baking pans with parchment.
- Stir together flour, lemon zest, baking soda, and salt.
- Use an electric mixer to beat butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and combine.
- Add dry mixture and buttermilk to creamed butter in one-thirds, alternating between dry and wet until completely combined (dough will be sticky).
- Use a 1/4 cup measure to scoop batter onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool to room temperature and then store in the refrigerator until ready to make sandwiches.
To make blueberry yogurt:
- Measure frozen yogurt into a large bowl and soften slightly in fridge.
- Mix in blueberry pie filling and lemon juice. (Return to freezer if yogurt is too soft to scoop onto cookies).
To assemble sandwiches:
- Place each cookie, top side down on top of a piece of foil.
- Use a 1/3 cup measure to shape blueberry yogurt into a circle and spoon on top of cookie.
- Sandwich with 2nd cookie, wrap loosely in foil, and freeze until firm.
- Continue spooning yogurt onto cookies to make all 8 sandwiches.
Copyright 2012-2016 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.
To make mini ice cream sandwiches spoon 2 TB batter onto prepared cookie sheets to make 32 cookies. Follow same procedure as above and spoon 2 TB blueberry yogurt onto each sandwich.