Easiest Indian Dish Ever: Slow Cooker Red Lentil Daal Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 3-6 hours, unattended
- Yield: 8 servings
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1-15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- Combine chicken broth, lentils, tomatoes, onion, ginger, garlic, mustard seed, coriander, cumin, and cayenne in a slow cooker. Cook for 6 hours on low or 3 hours on high. Stir in sugar, lemon juice, salt, and cilantro.
Copyright 2012-2015 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.
Make this a substantial vegetarian main dish by using veggie broth and stirring in cooked diced potatoes and baby spinach before serving. Serve over rice topped with Greek yogurt or sour cream.