Healthy Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: One 9" pie
- 16 squares of graham cracker (this is 8 full sheets from out of the box)
- 4 Tablespoons softened butter
- 1 Tablespoon cold water
- 1 egg white
- 1 2/3 cup low fat or skim milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 Tablespoons boiling water
- 4 medium bananas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In food processor, pulse together graham crackers, butter, cold water and egg white until
- crumbly and sticky. Press into a 9” pie dish and bring up the sides about 3/4”. Bake crust 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and no longer wet. Set aside to cool.
- Sprinkle gelatin over boiling water in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the milk, egg yolks, sugar, and flour. Cook over medium heat, whisking fairly constantly, until it reaches a boil and thickens to custard consistency. Remove from heat and whisk in gelatin mixture. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Slice three bananas into 1/3 inch slices and arrange in the bottom of the pie crust. Pour over
- custard mixture, allowing it to seep into the gaps between the fruit. Leave remaining banana for decorating top of the pie before serving.
- Cover lightly and refrigerate until filling is set. Decorate with banana slices before serving. May serve with whipped cream. Keep covered in fridge for up to 3 days.
Copyright 2012-2014 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.
Pie keeps in the refrigerator, covered, up to 5 days.