Katie’s German Coleslaw Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 head green cabbage, roughly 2 1/4 pounds
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 2 large stalks celery, leaves okay
- 1 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 4 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or unseasoned rice vinegar)
- 5 teaspoons sugar (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Remove bruised outer leaves from cabbage, then cut into quarters; leave core intact.
- Lay a cabbage quarter flat side down and, with a very sharp knife, shred very thin - you are
- looking for long, thin shreds. Transfer to a large bowl. Repeat with remaining 3 quarters.
- Core and seed the green pepper, then cut into matchsticks and cut crossways, creating a very fine chop. Add to cabbage.
- Cut the celery into long thin strips. Cut crossways to the same size chop as the green pepper. Add to cabbage.
- On the fine side of a box grater, grate the carrot. Add to cabbage.
- On the large side of the box grater, grate the onion. Add to cabbage.
- Add the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Mix well and taste for seasoning.
- You may adjust the sugar and vinegar to your taste but it should have a tart-sweet crunch.
Copyright 2012-2014 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.
Keeps in the refrigerator, covered, up to 5 days.