Korean Short Ribs (Galbi Jjim) Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: PT5-9H
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 pounds beef short ribs (thick cut), extra fat trimmed
- 1 Asian pear, peeled, diced (or substitute 2 Bosc pears)
- 2 cups baby carrots, halved widthwise
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes.
- Place ribs, pear, and carrots in slow cooker and pour sauce over all. Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 9 hours until meat is tender and falls from the bone easily.
- Strain braising liquid and cool slightly (or for several hours in refrigerator) to skim fat from top.
- Serve ribs, carrots, and pear over noodles or rice topped with braising liquid and garnished with scallions and sesame seeds.
Copyright 2012-2014 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.
If you serve the rib meat shredded, be sure to remove the rubbery (unappealing) band that connected the meat to the bone. You can also brown the ribs before adding to the slow cooker, but it really isn’t necessary here.