Lemony Belgian Waffles with Sweet Crème Fraiche & Raspberries
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: PT20-25M
- Yield: 6 cups batter to make 5-8 waffles (depending on size of waffle maker) & 1 cup Sweet Crème Fraiche
- Sweet Crème Fraiche
- 8 oz container crème fraiche
- 2 Tablespoons confectioners’ sugar (plus additional for garnish)
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Lemon Waffles
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- Cooking spray or oil to grease waffle maker
- 2, 6 oz cartons fresh raspberries
- To make Sweet Crème Fraiche: Whisk together all ingredients.
- To make Lemon Waffles: Preheat waffle maker on high. Mix milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a small bowl and let rest until curdled (~ 5 minutes). In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, vanilla, and melted butter. Add curdled lemon-milk. In another large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Use an electric mixer to beat egg whites for 1-2 minutes or until they hold stiff peaks. Whisk dry ingredients into milk mixture until combined. Fold whites into batter (working in 1/3’s) until combined.
- Pour batter into preheated, greased waffle maker (amount of batter will vary based on your waffle maker) and bake until crisp and golden (~4-6 minutes). Keep warm on a resting rack in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, use a small sieve or sifter to dust waffles with confectioners’ sugar. Spoon some Sweet Crème Fraiche over the top and garnish with fresh raspberries. Serve with additional sauce on the side.
To speed morning prep: Sweet Crème Fraiche can be made up to 3 days ahead and kept chilled. The night before, juice and zest lemon and separate eggs for waffles and keep chilled. Measure out and whisk together dry waffle ingredients and have at the ready in a large bowl, covered, at room temperature. This waffle batter will work in any waffle maker –check your manual for the recommended amount of batter for yours. Tip: Try using a glass measuring cup with a spout to easily and cleanly, and evenly pour batter into waffle maker.