Soft Polenta with Sausage & Peppers Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cup Sausage & Peppers, 3/4 cup Polenta
Sausage & Peppers:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces sweet or hot Italian pork sausage links
- 2 large bell peppers, (about 8 ounces), thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, if desired
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
Sausage & Peppers:
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausages and cook, covered, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 12 minutes. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon to a cutting board.
- Add peppers and onions to same skillet and sauté over medium-high heat until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice sausages into 1-inch wide pieces and set aside.
- Add garlic to skillet with peppers and onions and cook 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add sliced sausage and any juices from cutting board and ½ cup water to skillet and bring to a simmer, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Bring water and salt to a boil over high heat in a large covered, preferably nonstick saucepan.
- Gradually whisk in cornmeal. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until thickened and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove polenta from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese and butter. Spoon onto plates and top with sausage and pepper mixture. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
Copyright 2012-2016 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.
Use whichever bell peppers are the best buy at the moment or substitute lower priced Cubanelle (Italian frying peppers). You’ll need 3 large ones.