10 Must-Have Items for the Ultimate Beach Bag
What can turn a perfect beach day into #worstdayever? Not packing appropriately.
Here, Donna David, NYC-based professional organizer and President of Donna David & Company shares her top 10 beach bag essentials:
- Sunglasses. They’re a must to protect your eyes and face from the sun. “Pick out something fun and inexpensive,” David says, in case they get lost or damaged.
- A wide-rimmed hat. Sunglasses aren’t enough. Opt for a hat with a wide rim as well, and make sure everyone wears one, even young children.
- Sunscreen and lip protection. CDC recommends choosing a sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher. Reapply sunscreen–including lip protection–every two hours and after you come in from the water.
- Beach chairs. Choose one that’s waterproof, feels supportive, and easily folds in your trunk. Look for one with its own adjustable overhead umbrella.
- Beach umbrella. Can’t find a chair with a built-in umbrella? Go for a beach umbrella with 100+ UPF.
- Beach towels. Let everyone pick out their own in a festive color or print.
- Snacks. Why wait in the line at the beach concession stand, when you can pack your own goodies? David favors nutritious options, such as nuts, dried fruit, and granola bars that travel easily in snack bags. Don’t forget to pack water bottles and sanitizing hand wipes, too.
- Water shoes. Protect your feet from hot sand and sharp rocks. Also, save your car from a sand attack by packing extra clothes and underwear you can change into before you leave.
- A good audio book. It may be difficult to read in the sun, so listen instead.
- An opaque sealed container. You can’t take your keys and money in the water with you!