Air-Fried Falafel Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Makes six sandwiches
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 of a medium red onion, cut up
- 3/4 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup lightly packed parsley leaves
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled seeded, sliced
- 1/4 of a red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 6 pieces whole wheat or white pocketless pita bread or naan, lightly toasted if desired
- 1/2 cup tahini sauce
- Hot sauce
- Lemon wedges
- Put all ingredients except sesame seeds in food processor. Pulse until mixture comes together and ingredients are fairly finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and stir in sesame seeds.
- Preheat air fryer at 370 degrees for 3 minutes.
- Scoop mixture using cookie scoop and form into balls with your hands. Place on baking sheet (you should have around 24).
- Mist falafel all over with oil mister or no-stick cooking spray then place in air fryer basket.
- Set fryer to 15 minutes and cook until falafel are lightly browned.
- Arrange falafel, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and lettuce on one side of pita breads then drizzle with tahini sauce and hot sauce. Fold over and serve with lemon wedges.
As an alternative (or an addition to) the tahini sauce, combine light sour cream with grated cucumber. Watching your carbs? Skip the bread and make a falafel salad. Just use more lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and onion and serve the tahini as a dressing along with some extra virgin olive oil and lemon wedges.