Braided Challah Bread
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8-10
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 tsp sugar
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp grated orange peel
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 can (14 oz) evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp salted butter, melted
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tbsp water
- Combine yeast, warm water, milk, and sugar in large bowl until dissolved. Let stand 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add flour, orange peel, and salt to Bowl of KitchenAid® Artisan Stand Mixer. Attach Bowl and Flat Beater to the Mixer. Turn to Speed 3 and mix 1 minute or until just combined. Continuing on Speed 3, add yeast mixture, evaporated milk, egg yolks, and butter. Mix until just incorporated.
- Remove Paddle and attach Dough Hook. Turn to Speed 4 and knead 7 minutes. Place dough in large, lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover and let rinse in warm place 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough, roll into large ball, and cut into three equal pieces. Roll each dough piece into long rope on lightly floured surface. Tip: Use a small amount of flour and avoid excess rolling which may lead to the tearing of the dough.
- Arrange the three dough ropes rise by side on work surface. Pinch the ropes together at the very top. Pick up center rope and cross it over the rope on the right. Pick up left rope and cross it all the way over the rope on the right. Continue in this manner, crossing the center rope over first, and then crossing the left rope all the way over the rope on the right. Continue until you reach the ends, then pinch the bottom ends together. Place loaf on greased baking sheet. Let rise in warm place 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Add whole egg and 2 tbsp water to Bowl of KitchenAid® Artisan Stand Mixer. Attach Bowl and Wire Whisk to Mixer. Turn to Speed 3 and beat well. Brush loaf with some of the egg wash.
- Bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and brush egg again with egg wash. Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Chef’s tip: Pair the challah with thinly sliced Swiss cheese or lightly toast it and serve alongside a cheese platter.
Copyright 2012-2019 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.