Cooking Technique: Grilled Spatchcocked Chicken
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: One whole chicken
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or salt
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- One whole chicken, approx 3-4 pounds
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Combine salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and brown sugar. Mix well to combine and set aside.
- Lay the chicken on a cutting board breast-side down, with the legs closest to you. Using kitchen shears, cut up one side of the back bone, then the other and remove. Turn the chicken over, place on cutting board and push down between breasts to help flatten.
- Heat your grill for 2-zone cooking, high on one side and low on the other.
- Lightly oil chicken and season chicken all over with the mix. You’ll use approximately 1/2 tablespoon, and save the rest for a later use.
- Start the chicken skin side up on the low temperature side of the grill until a thermometer registers between 150 and 160 degrees in the thigh. Then place the chicken skin side down to crisp on the hot side for 5 to 10 minutes or until approximately 165 degrees. Remove, cut, and serve.
Copyright 2012-2018 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.