- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 3 waffles
For the Waffles:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/3-1/2 cup Vegetable or canola oil for frying
- 1 2/3 cup confectioners sugar
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 5-6 tbsp milk (or more if you like a thinner glaze) 2 tbsp melted butter, slightly cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the toppings:
- 2 tbsp Toasted coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp freeze dried strawberries, crushed 2 tsp rainbow sprinkles
- Or any topping of choice!
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, sugar, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. Add milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Set the waffle iron to medium-high heat (4 setting). Once preheated, lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray and pour in 1 cup of batter. Cook waffle 6 minutes and set aside (You may have to cut off the excess from the top of the iron). Repeat with remaining batter. You should have 4 waffles.
- Cut each waffle into 4 triangles. Place a cooling rack on top of a sheet tray. Place a medium skillet over medium low heat and add a thin layer of oil. Once oil is shimmering, add 4 waffle triangles. Cook one minute on each side and transfer to a cooling rack. Repeat with remaining waffle triangles adding more oil as necessary. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- While waffles are cooling, make the glaze. Sift confectioners sugar and cocoa powder into a medium, bowl. Gradually add milk, butter, and vanilla, whisking as you go. Continue whisking 30 seconds more until you have a shiny, smooth glaze.
- With your toppings ready, dip one face of the waffle into the glaze to coat. Shake gently to let excess glaze drip off and place on a parchment lined sheet tray. Repeat with remaining donut waffles. Once all donut waffles are glazed, top four with sprinkles, four with walnuts, four with freeze dried strawberries, and four with coconut flakes (or with any combo of the toppings you like!). Serve within a day.
Copyright 2012-2018 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.