Grilled Italian Steak Salad Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 (10 to 12 ounces each, 1-inch thick) boneless NY Strip steaks
- 1 teaspoon PLUS 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 4 cups thick shreds romaine lettuce
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 3 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
- Preheat grill or grill pan. Brush steaks with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Grill steak, turning once, until desired doneness about 8 minutes for medium-rare. Remove steak to cutting board and let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk remaining 3 Tablespoons olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt with vinegar, oregano and ground black pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add red onion and toss to coat. (This helps take some of the “bite” out of the onions.)
- Thinly slice steak. Add arugula, romaine and tomatoes to bowl and toss to mix and coat. Arrange salad on serving platter or serving plates.
- Top salad with sliced steak and sprinkle with gorgonzola cheese. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
This salad easily adapts to changing weather! In the fall and winter, grill the steak indoors and instead of tomatoes, use sliced ripe pears. Add some chopped walnuts too-they pair beautifully with pears and gorgonzola.
Copyright 2012-2016 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.