Ice Cream Sandwich Cake with Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Makes four servings
- 3-4 ice cream sandwiches
- 1 cup chocolate ice cream
- 1 cup heavy cream whipped
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt + more for garnish if desired
- In a bread loaf pan place one ice cream sandwich and cut another to fit the bottom of the pan and place in the freezer to firm up, about 10-15 minutes. Remove the chocolate ice cream to the counter to soften slightly. Remove 1 cup and spread over the ice cream sandwiches and place back in the freezer to firm up for 15 minutes. Remove from the freezer and place another layer of ice cream sandwiches on top and place back in the freezer, for another 10-15 minutes.
- Whip 1 cup of cream to stiff peaks with an electric mixer, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the freezer and unmold on to a plate or platter. Frost the cake with whipped cream and place back in the freezer for at least 15-20 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Make the caramel sauce by placing 1 cup of white sugar with 1/4 cup water in a deep saucepan over medium low heat, swirling to combine until golden in color. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup heavy cream, this will be kind of scary at this point, but it is OK. Place pot back on heat and keep stirring until everything is dissolved and smooth. Add 1 teaspoon sea salt and stir then pour into a bowl and cool.
- Remove the cake from the freezer and cut into 4 pieces and serve with sauce sprinkled with more salt if desired.
Copyright 2012-2017 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.