Mexican Cocktail Meatballs with Spicy Sauce [Recipe]
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings
- Serving Size: 4 meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 1 cup finely crumbled tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 can (14.5) ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 Tablespoons agave syrup or 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Combine pork, tortilla chips, zucchini, scallions, ¼ cup of the cilantro, the egg, garlic, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt with your hands in a large bowl.
- Form mixture into about 40 meatballs (about 1 Tablespoon each).
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add about ½ of the meatballs and cook, gently turning occasionally, until browned, about 7 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon to a plate.
- Repeat with remaining meatballs. Remove to plate.
- Add lime juice to skillet and cook scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Add tomatoes, chipotles, agave syrup and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and bring to a simmer.
- Return meatballs and any accumulated juices to skillet and simmer 5 minutes for flavors to blend.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining 2 Tablespoons cilantro. Serve with cocktail forks or toothpicks.
Also great as an entrée. Form mixture into larger meatballs or patties and serve over rice. These can be made 1 day ahead and reheated in the microwave.
Copyright 2012-2017 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.