- Yield: 6
For the waffles:
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1.25 oz packet taco seasoning 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
For the queso (makes about 1 cup)
- 1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1.5 tsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp or mild cheddar
For the toppings:
- 1 cup prepared queso/cheese sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- 1/2 cup sliced pickled jalapeños
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- Preheat oven to 200°F
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and taco seasoning. Add milk and vegetable oil and whisk until just combined
- Preheat waffle iron on medium high setting (between 3 and 4). Spray with non stick cooking spray and pour 1/2 cup batter into the center of the waffle iron. Close the waffle iron and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until outside is crisp and brown. Place cooked waffle on a sheet tray and keep in warmed oven until you are ready to serve. Repeat with remaining batter. Once waffles are finished, tear or cut each waffle into 4 triangles.
- Heat small saucepan on stove over medium-low heat. Once hot, add oil and onion and cook, stirring occasionally until onion is soft and starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the flour and whisk continuously for 2 minutes. Slowly add milk and bring to a simmer. Add salt and cheese and stir until cheese is completely melted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- To assemble the nachos: Place half the waffle nachos on a plate and drizzle with half the cheese sauce. Scatter half the olives, jalapeños, and tomatoes. Place the remaining nacho waffle on top and repeat with remainder of cheese sauce, olives, jalapeños, and tomatoes. Place scoops of guacamole into the center and scatter with cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.
Copyright 2012-2018 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.