Patty Melt – A Comfort Food
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 slices rye bread
- Cook sliced onions in 1 Tablespoon each butter and olive oil until caramelized and soft - about 10 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix ground beef with garlic powder and season with salt & pepper. Shape into 2 patties, each a little larger than the rye bread. Cook patties over medium/high heat in a little oil, about 5 minutes. Flip and add 2 slices of cheese to each patty and cook an additional 3-4 minutes for medium rare.
- Meanwhile, butter one side of 4 pieces of the bread and place butter-side down in a non-stick pan. Place one patty on each slice of bread, then a generous layer of onions and top with remaining bread. Cook on medium until golden brown - then butter the top, flip and repeat. Remove, slice and eat.
Copyright 2012-2017 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.