Salted Chocolate Caramel & Pecan Crispy Rice Treats Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 32 treats
- 4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 bag (10 ounce) miniature or regular marshmallows
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt, divided
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal
- 2 cups toasted pecans, coarsely chopped, divided
- 8 soft caramel candies, quartered (1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup bittersweet or dark chocolate chips
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan with foil letting foil extend ends of pan on 2 sides. (This will help you lift them out of pan for easier cutting.) Grease foil.
- Melt butter in a large (preferably nonstick) saucepan over medium heat. Add marshmallows, chips and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until marshmallows and chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in cereal and 1 1/2 cups of the pecans until combined. Scrape into prepared pan and press into an even layer with an oiled metal spatula or barely moistened hands.
- Press remaining 1/2 cup pecans into top, then press in quartered caramels. Let cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over cooled crispy rice mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt (or more to taste). Refrigerate until chocolate sets.
- Lift by foil ends onto a cutting board. Cut into 16 squares, then cut the squares in half to form triangles.
If you have Maldon sea salt, use that to sprinkle on top- the large flakes will look beautiful! This recipe is very adaptable. Use white chocolate, peanut butter or semisweet chocolate chips instead of the butterscotch chips and use your favorite nuts in place of pecans. Pretty much anything goes!