Sausage and Jalapeño Cornbread Waffles With Fried Egg
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings / 8 waffles
- 10 oz breakfast sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 medium jalapeño, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, plus extra for serving
- 2 tbsp melted butter, cooled
- 5 eggs (1 for batter, 4 for frying)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add sausage. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until sausage is cooked through, breaking up with a spoon into small pieces as it cooks. Add corn and jalapeño and cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.
- In a Medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper. Add milk, maple syrup, butter and egg, and whisk until just combined. Add the sausage mixture and stir to combine.
- Heat waffle iron on the 4 setting (high heat). When ready to use, lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray. Pour a generous 1/3 cup of batter into the center of each waffle square and spread slightly with the back of a spoon or a silicone spatula. Cook 4-5 minutes, until waffles are nicely browned. Place waffle on a baking tray and keep in warmed oven til ready to serve. Repeat with remainder of batter.
- Return the skillet to stove over medium-high heat. When skillet is hot add the olive oil and crack the eggs into the skillet. Cook eggs to preferred doneness and season with salt and pepper.
- Place 2 waffles on each plate and top with a fried egg. Serve with hot sauce and maple syrup.
Copyright 2012-2018 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.